A few professors gave their opinions but did not want to have their pictures taken. A dean in Criminal Justice also gave her opinion but did not want to risk controversy and wanted to leave the opinion as anonymous, however did want the opinion to be heard. I left those quotes at the bottom unnumbered so they won’t interfere with the organization of the picture to quote pattern.
2. Kabbaj, junior – “ I don’t know how they are going to enforce it since some students have to smoke anyway. I am afraid they are going to smoke by the buildings and that can cause more harm than good.”
3. Gina, Librarian- “ I am generally pleased with the no smoking policy on campus. I think it’s about time and it’ll make for a healthier campus community”
5. Darrell, Senior-” I think that the no smoking policy is a good idea, although I don’t know how realistic it may be as far as regulations. I know a lot of foreign students who love to smoke and specifically in that area. Even after the policy, I still see people smoking. While I see something written, it is not very regulated.
8. Judi Cruz, – Health educator- “I have to remain a little neutral on that because from the health point, there is nothing good about smoking for anybody, but without providing them a spot and not even in the cars in the parking lot, that makes it difficult for someone who hasn’t gotten to that point.” (Was actually against but had to choose her words carefully because of her position)
9. Bryan, Senior-” I don’t agree with the ban. I think that people who want to smoke ought to be able to. I really just don’t agree with the policy.”
10. Christopher, Sophomore-” I don’t really like it too much partially because I just quit smoking, but I still feel that everybody should still have their right to smoke. I thought the smoking areas were just fine where they were located.
11. Johara, 5th year- “I believe that it is a good policy. There are other locations that you can go to, but on this campus, there are a lot of people who can’t focus with all this secondhand smoke. It is probably a good idea to have designated smoking areas, but not all throughout the school. Not everybody can take that”
16. Sierra, Senior- “I’m personally for this new rule because as someone who suffers from asthma, it actually really affects me. If they do this, maybe it will encourage people to stop smoking”
20. Prince, 5th year, Executive vice president of ASI- “I think that it’s really positive that our campus really cares about our health and safety as students. I am in support of the policy. It is good for our students.
—King-To Yeung, Assistant sociology professor (no picture) “-Even though I am not a smoker, I do not agree with the policy. I don’t think we should define boundaries. Smoke itself is not contained within a boundary of the school. A smoker smoking two inches outside of a boundary will pollute more or less air to the school. The policy itself doesn’t make sense.”