CSUSB sorority Kappa Delta held their annual Philanthropy Week from Feb. 26 to March 3.
Kappa Delta, a nationwide organization, provides a variety of opportunities for young women who would like to become more involved with their schools and local communities.
“We all come from different places and backgrounds, but the one thing we all share is the common bond,” said Monica Sanchez, Vice President of Community Service. “The relationships we build with sisters and bonds we form are for a lifetime.”
Two organizations that are especially important to the sorority are Girl Scouts of the USA and Prevent Child Abuse America.
“With the girl scouts, Kappa Deltas are seen as mentors and volunteer,” said Sanchez. “The common values of honesty, integrity, friendship and leadership are shared to help the girls build confidence and build character. We do this by hosting workshops, campus tours and by helping our local Girl Scout troops with their events.”
Organizations such as Kappa Delta are a great influence to not just their fellow colleagues but to people all over the world.
As a chapter, Kappa Delta helps raise money by hosting an annual Shamrock 5K run/walk. The prices are $30 for CSUSB students, $35 for community members, $40 for late registration and $140 for a five-member team.
“80 percent of our goal will stay in our community to fund the incredible work being done by ChildHelp Inc,” said Sanchez. “The remaining 20 percent will be going toward Prevent Child Abuse America.”
This year’s annual Shamrock 5K took place on March 3.
The event helps children who may be suffering from child abuse as well as provides awareness to students about what else is going on around their environment and about the different ways any individual can help support a cause.
“Being involved with Kappa Delta has helped me grow into a more confident and humble person, which gives me opportunities to work hands-on with our philanthropies, such as renovating the Child Help Center in Beaumont and hosting events where we are able to hang out and talk with our local girl scouts troops,” said Jessica Diaz. “These events allow us to see firsthand where all of the fundraising goes to.”
All things considered, the community and the world benefit from the positive energy that is given out by these young adults volunteering in order to make an impact in the world. Kappa Delta is an organization that inspires all women to prosper to their highest potential and provides long life sisterhood throughout the years to pass.