By, Julia Matulionis |Staff Writer|
CSUSB President Tomás Morales is using time before voting day to spread information in SB community on Proposition 30.
According to the voters guide sent out to registered voters, Proposition 30 would allow temporary taxes to fund education.
Although it is geared towards K-12, if the proposition does not pass it will directly effect CSU’s, by cutting the budget statewide by $250 million dollars, which would equate to a $10 million dollar budget cut at CSUSB.
“What we’re trying to do is educate our students, our parents, our faculty and staff about Prop. 30. I’m not arguing for or against[ … ]as a state employee I’m not in a position to do that. But we certainly want to educate the CSUSB community,” said Morales.
Tuition has increased by 28 percent in the last five years across all of the US, according to the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. In California it has risen an average of 84 percent at Cal State campuses.
“It’s really important that the voters of California fully educate themselves on what happens if Proposition 30 passes or fails,” said Morales.
If Proposition 30 does not pass there will be an additional 5 percent increase to the 9.1 percent increase we experienced in the fall. That equates to a total of 14.1 percent increase in two quarters.
The 2011/2012 CSU final budget for all 23 schools was approved for $3.9 billion. That money comes from a combination of state funds and student fees. They are requesting almost $4.4 billion for the 2012/2013 budget.
Since the Dream Act, legislation AB 131, there has been a lost revenue for CSUs. According to the calstate.edu, $4.5 million in tuition fees will be missing due to the new legislation.
President Morales thinks that with Proposition 30 in place, “The state will begin to have the tax revenue to begin to address the structural budget in the state of California. I think there will be a less likelihood of an additional reductions to the CSU.”
The Public Affairs office for the CSU system put forth a news release stating that, “Over the past four years, CSU has decreased the total number of faculty and staff by over 3,000 or 6.6% of its workforce. In addition, class sizes have increased, faculty have been asked to teach more, and administrative functions are being consolidated.”
The 2010 Census reported only 30 percent of Californians obtain bachelors degrees, compared to the nation as a whole which is at 27 percent.
The Department of Education for the State of California reported a 14.4 percent high school drop out rate.
The State of California Employment Development Department concluded the current San Bernardino County unemployment rate is at 11 percent.
“CSUSB is an anchor institution. It’s a very important institution in terms of economic development, workforce development. We’re the only CSU in the region,” said Morales.