SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — An event designed to further prepare current students for life after graduation, the Communication Studies Symposium, will be held at California State University San Bernardino May 1, 2018, from 9am-3pm in the San Manuel Student Union.
With the Symposium theme, “What’s Next,” the event features panels and guest speakers aimed at informing students on how they can apply their communication degree after graduation.
This year’s student-led symposium embodies success providing information needed to perform within their respective fields following graduation.
Every year the symposium is presented by students and features alumni from the department providing information on further application of communication studies as professionals. The symposium highlights alumni accomplishments and achievements as some are invited back to share success stories.
Says Dr. Owen, Interim Chair of the Department of Communication Studies, “The student-designed Symposium is all about celebrating the success and achievements of our COMM students, and we are grateful to the students in COMM classes and student organizations whose contributions, including event planning and design of programs, posters, centerpieces, and publicity materials, will make the event a great success.”
Panels will include the alumni speakers:
Panel 1: Getting My First Job in Communication
· Jacob Poore: Coyote Advertising Coordinator (American Advertising Federation Gold Winner)/Graduate student/Faculty/Alumni
· Manny Sandoval: Lead Reporter News Mirror/Alumni
· Ginger Ontiveros: Executive Director Community Engagement of SBCUSD/Alumni
· Ashley Jones: BPC Media Works: General Manager and Director of Campaigns and Government Relations/Alumni
· Stephanie Cardenas: Alumni
Panel 2: What Employers Expect:
· Angela Gillespie: Strategic Communication Senior Creative Services Coordinator/Faculty/Alumni at California State University San Bernardino
· Elena Martinez: M.A. Degree, Communications/Alumni
· Carmen Murillo-Moyeda: California State San Bernardino Media & Public Affairs Marketing Specialist/Faculty/Alumni
· Terry Saenz: Media & Community Relations Director Victorville Animal Protection League Humane Society/Alumni
· Lacey Kendall: Coyote Radio/My Awesome Empire founder/Golden Mic Award Winner/Alumni
This press release was written by the undergraduate students of Comm. 243d. Public Relations Practicum.
ABOUT THE CSUSB DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION STUDIES: As part of the College of Arts and Letters, the CSUSB Department of Communication Studies is a multifaceted discipline combining both academic and professional interests including concentrations in media studies, public relations, and human and organizational communication. cal.csusb.edu/communication-studies