By Melissa Gilbert |Staff Writer|
Every day cancer is taking more and more lives.
Help others fight and prevent cancer by taking part in the Colleges Against Cancer (CAC) Relay for Life located on campus.
The Relay for Life event consists of an overnight event on April 25-26 on the CSUSB Pfau Library lawn.
This event requires people to gather up a team of 10 to 15 participants.
The objective of this activity is to raise funds in order to fight against cancer while having a good time.
Participants have the chance to camp on campus, walk the track, and engage in a commemorative ceremony.
“I believe students should get involved in this event because it gives a lot [of] perks to the participants. They will get community service hours, certificates as well as SOE points if they are members of a sorority or a fraternity,” said Pari Aryafar, the lead event planner.
Guest speakers will also be present, according to Aryafar.
Nutritionist Bellben Colme will provide information about how to prevent cancer through alimentation.
Alexis Morgan, cancer survivor, will be attending the event and is going to talk about her own experience battling cancer.
DJ Krucial and DJ Lu will be mixing music to keep your energy and spirits high during the challenge.
Colleges across the country are highly involved in Relay for Life.
CSUSB is in its fifth year of hosting this event.
Michael, a former participant, said his experience was, “Amazing! I got to join a good cause, as well as have a good time with my teammates. I was especially touched by the commemorative ceremony.”
The Luminaria ceremony helps participants remember the people who have lost their fight to cancer.
White bags shaped like lanterns with lit candles inside are decorated with the name of individuals who lost their lives to cancer.
Participants take moments of silence to grieve the people they have lost as a healing mechanism.
Participation is as important as donations received. The profits go to the American Cancer Society (ACS) to help eliminate cancer through education, prevention and research.
There has been a significant decline in cancer-related deaths between 1991 and 2012.
There was a 20 percent reduction, according to the ASC’s survey. This decrease might be related to the generous donations the organization receives through their events.
The ASC’s financial report states that the Relay for Life events have engaged 4 million people in 6,000 communities across 20 countries in 2012.
The same report states that 72 percent of the funds ACS receives go to cancer research as well as support patients, prevention and treatment of cancer. The remaining 28 percent cover the expenses of the events as well as management expenses.
Ninety-six of that 28 percent comes from individuals who take part in Relay for Life and other fundraisers.
iPhone and iPad users can even follow the progress of their fundraising through the ACS application called Relay for Life.
Bring your team, a tent, donations and take part in the Relay for Life event and help battle and prevent cancer with the CSUSB Colleges Against Cancer chapter.
If you are interested in signing up with a team or donating, go to relayforlife.org/csusbca or contact firstname.lastname@example.org